Topic: The other Doctor Who thread. With a poll!

With series 7 midways, and the 50 year anniversary literally days away, I wanted to start a new Doctor Who thread, that doesn't necessarily go along with the currently airing episodes, but instead leans on your experience with the show, who's your favorite Doctor, why, and which episode you fancy as well.

***Now, before you start bitching about the poll, the options max out at 7, and according to Teague, there's nothing to be done about that. So, I gathered the old Doctors as dual choices, and the new as individuals, as I think they'll be getting the most love anyway.***

So, who's my Doctor?
David Tennant. Without a doubt.

But, why?

Let me share in on how my fandom of DW first began.
A couple of years ago, I was hanging out at a friends house, when one of our mutual friends came bursting in with the new Doctor Who episode. This would be Smith's "Eleventh Hour", which had just released. I'd heard of the show, but not what it was, or what it was about, so I dismissed it as nothing of interest at that point in time. As the hours progressed, beers were consumed, and our bi-monthly halo-session ended, the same friend fired up a YouTube clip of a Doctor Who parody from 1999, named "The curse of Fatal Death", starring Rowan Atkinson.

Since I already stated I had no previous interaction of the show, I reluctantly watched it, at the "doob" gag, I was literally rofl'ing.
This was only a parody, but now I was hooked, so they started showing "Rose" with Eccleston, which I loved, and then immediately after, "The Eleventh Hour" was shown. I loved both the episodes, and went home to download all the series.

Of course, the following day would deem perfect for the task, with me being hung over, so I started watching from series one onward. I was told the basic principles of the show, what a time lord is, and how it's been going since '63, so this time, I knew a bit more about what I was diving into, but it didn't matter. I was hooked. Eccleston's performance of a Doctor fresh out of a time war, and he captured me as a great character. One that was crazy enough to go ahead and die 12 episodes later.

I had a hard time coping with my Doctor just ending it like that, so much that I actually abandoned the show for a month or so. However, upon hearing about Tennant, I thought I'd give it a go anyway.
His first episode, Christmas Invasion, didn't exactly do much for the character, up until the end, setting up a plot device for series 4, but a few more episodes in, namely "The Girl In The Fireplace" had me completely in love with Tennant's Doctor. His movement, his emotional span, the silliness, the "oh yes!" and the more dramatic side we didn't really get the chance to see from Eccleston were all points that ultimately landed Tennant as my Doctor.

--

Continuing onto Smith, who I'd encountered prior to Tennant, I like him enough, but the latter two seasons have really thrown me off his whole character. He's too silly, too clumsy, and always seems to get off by chance and random events. I'm well aware that most doctors do this, but at least the others seem like they have a plan handy.
Series 5 wasn't that bad, but I absolutely don't like River Song as a character, and Alex Kingston isn't helping either.

As for my favorite episode? It's hard to choose. There's so many great ones. But I guess the one I keep coming back to is the Series 4 finale episodes, and End Of Time. It's got David Tennant, Bernard Cribbins, John Simm, and my personal Bond favorite; Timothy Dalton. Yup, End Of Time it's pretty much where it's at, although it doesn't stand on its own as much as my second fav; The Girl in the Fireplace".

Last edited by Tomahawk (2012-12-28 18:53:17)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: The other Doctor Who thread. With a poll!

By 'who's your Doctor?' (heh, a pun) do you mean the one you grew up with or the one you saw first? For me that is McCoy......

My favourite is maybe Tennant but Smith is getting there, he's sneaking up, he's closing in.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

David Tennant. Without a doubt.

+1

So far I haven't seen any of the old episodes, so I've got only three Doctors to choose from. Of the three, Tennant has the best balance of quirkiness and seriousness. Besides, I think he got the best scripts ("Blink" and "The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End" are my favorites).

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have a hard time with the whole "MY" Doctor thing. The first one I ever saw was Patrick Troughton, randomly watching at a friend's house, and I had no idea what was going on with the story. But it was pretty entertaining. The first one I sat down and watched seriously was Tom Baker, and obviously he's a great Doctor and part of the upper tier.

The first one I was really in love with was David Tennant, and it was during his run that I got addicted to the show and started buying up all the DVD's I could afford, both new series and classic. But I like Matt Smith better than Tennant now. I think Smith is my favorite Doctor, at least at the moment. I was wary about him after the casting announcement, I didn't think he was very good in The End of Time, but I was on board with him the second Eleventh Hour started. Completely erased all thoughts of Tennant and how I'd been dreading his departure.

So I have no idea which one is mine. Though to be honest, I love all of them except Hartnell, Davison, and McCoy. And they're pretty okay too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

By 'who's your Doctor?' (heh, a pun) do you mean the one you grew up with or the one you saw first? For me that is McCoy......

Your favorite. Pretty much how it goes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have always known 'your doctor' to be the one that you grew up with. Ah well, I answered the question anyway.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think my avatar gives my answer away tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I started Tom Baker's era today. Watched Robot pt1 thus far. Not too shabby. I'm plowing thru it all starting tomorrow tongue

Jimmy: Except that doesn't make sense for people who didn't grow up with the show.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2012-12-29 00:37:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

Jimmy: Except that doesn't make sense for people who didn't grow up with the show.

It's clearly an age thing, an outdated concept but that is what it meant 'back in the day'.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I started watching with Season 5, so Matt Smith will always be my Doctor. The David Tennant era always seemed really cheesy to me. However, my sister started watching the same time I did, and she's now more obsessed and knowledgeable than me, and her Doctor is Tennant.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

I started Tom Baker's era today. Watched Robot pt1 thus far. Not too shabby. I'm plowing thru it all starting tomorrow tongue

I love Tom's first few seasons the most. Robot can be a bit ropey and you're in for some belter effects/model work later on.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As an American, I paid no attention to Doctor Who until I started listening to MMM Commentaries and their Fantragic podcast in 2008. Then I tried it and liked it a lot. (Funnily, the first full episode I watched was "The Unicorn and the Wasp", which made me say, "I like these characters and actors, so I'll bet most episodes are better than this.")

I went back to the beginning of New Who and watched them in order on DVD and liked the Ninth Doctor a lot, then liked the Tenth Doctor even better. His lengthy tenure made him my Doctor, I suppose, so I was astonished to find that I like the Eleventh Doctor better still. Overall, I think Ten has had the best scripts, tho, so I like that era best.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Used to watch the PBS reruns after school. Must've started when I was but a wee sprout, say 6 or 8 years old. Strictly Tom Baker era: when I later saw some Davison or McCoy episodes I was somewhat put-out. Never experienced any of the other single-digits.

Of the new, Tennant gets my vote, or would if the poll had some flexibility.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Right now I'm getting close to the end of series 4, and all I can say is: NO PLEASE I DON'T WANT TENNANT TO GO AWAY

I was late with Doctor Who. It's only starting to become a thing in France, and you really don't hear much about it. You guys are the ones who made me start, and it was last summer. I began with Smith, as recommended by Teague, but at the end of series 5 went straight back to series 1 because I really wanted to see the other doctors (well, especially Tennant whom I'd heard so much of).

So yeah. Saw the Eccleston era, getting close to finishing the Tennant era, and I have only seen the first season with Smith.

My introduction to this post says it all: oh my God David Tennant I love you. It's kinda hard to choose because I think they're all awesome in their way, but Tennant has this passion... He's just so loveable.

Which doesn't mean I think less of the others. Eccleston was amazing as a darker Doctor, it was a really great and sometimes really depressing era. It was also a time when I loved Rose, whereas in series 2 I started getting tired of her; thought she was somehow more poorly written. She became this teenage girl desperatly in love with the Doctor, to a point when I really thought she had to go. She still remains a great companion, way more memorable than Martha.

Smith is fun too but I can’t properly express an opinion about him since I’ve only seen series 5 with him. I don’t think he can replace Tennant in my heart, though. Being only fun, even much, may not be enough in the end. We'll see.

Oh, and I haven't seen the old era, so.

Last edited by Saniss (2012-12-29 13:39:07)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know that feel bro.

If it's any consolation, the writing gets significantly better once Smith shows up, so the episodes are better. *pat on the back*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague, you have GOT TO stop telling people to watch it in Star Wars order.
Doctor Who goes series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and when it's done; 7.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

All right, there it is. I've just finished David Tennant's era.

...yeah I'm gonna go cuddle my pillow and softly cry all night. I can't believe I'm done with Tennant. I just can't, and I know it will take a long time for me to get over it. He definitely is my Doctor. I'll miss him so much, dammit. I feel like a little girl.

And right now it doesn't make me want to go back to Smith, which doesn't do him justice because he's great. But it's like I'm in mourning. No show has done this to me before.

Anyway. I can contribute a bit more about all this now.

And I have to agree with vidi-Tomahawk (what's with all the nicknames changes around here, dammit). Making people start with series 5 doesn't set them in the right state of mind, in my opinion.

When they go back to series 1, it can be quite a shock, and leave them unwilling to go further with it. I personnally didn't have a problem with it, but I can see why some people could.

I showed DW to a friend, making him go with the same order, and while I think it will work for him eventually, he did tell me the change was a bit unsettling. What Doctor Who looks like from series 5 onwards still isn't what most of the revival looks like.

Additionnaly, while the Tenth/Eleventh transition cut most of the ongoing stories related to the Doctor, I think the recurring elements (Dalek, River, etc.) lack part of their substance without all the background from the first four series.

Last edited by Saniss (2013-01-09 02:34:24)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have to say I'm quite baffled by people preferring s5 to the earlier shows. But on the other hand It's not like I've been keen to revisit much of it and haven't bought any DVDs since s3

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I think series 5 as a whole is consistently good television, but I prefer individual episodes from earlier series.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Series 5 is my favourite of the modern run. It has this sense of magic and wonderment that the others don't.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And then, in a trademark plot twist, Steven Moffat gave us the mess that was series 6.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

yes, but in Series 6, we got "The Doctor's Wife", which is one of the best episodes to date.

Series 5 was a pretty good one, I'll admit, but for me, it's series 4. I liked having Donna around as the most human of the companions - one that has a strictly platonic relationship to the doctor. Both Rose and Martha fell for him, but Donna was in all honesty just a friend. Also, towards the end of the series, when things really start wrapping up, and not forgetting that we meet this new character called River Song, things got really fucking awesome. It doesn't work without having seen the series prior to it, though, so I'm not sure how that would go about.

Saniss: I'm leaving Vidina behind, after 10 years of using an online handle that's not related to me in any way, shape or form.

In other news, I've gotten around to watching "Genesis of the Daleks" now, and I'm halfway through "Revenge of the Cybermen", but DAMN. D_A_M_N that Genesis of the Daleks was really fucking good. Did NOT see that coming at all. I'm still no huge fan of Tom Baker, I mean he's alright, but that story was really engaging. Actually getting to know HOW the Daleks came about was thrilling. So thrilling indeed, that I stayed up until 3AM to complete all 6 episodes of it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Genesis of the Daleks is a great story, one of the best.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

All right, there it is. I've just finished David Tennant's era.

In which case, I'd be interested to know your reaction to the events of Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. Watching the show as it was broadcast, this was the first time I saw River Song. I've been wondering whether seeing the rest of her story first changes the impact of this one, particularly if you don't know it's coming.

Like many people, I was very "Tennant" but Smith won me over rapidly, and right now I'm hardcode Smith.

I started "new series" first, so I also liked Eccleston for a while, but I really didn't like the low-rent nature of Rose and her family (Rose's mom bugs me the hell out, as well as her useless boyfriend guy). I think the "level" of companions have upped drastically w. Smith (tho I'm actually happy that Amy/Rory left coz they had overstayed their welcome, and I while I liked Amy, Rory was played so blandly that... no). I'm intrigued by the newest companion (who has now died, and resurrected? Are we gonna get a "Who Killed Kenny" element to the doctor?). And I love the newest blue-laser Tardis interior. Mmmmm....!!

I've dabbled in "older doctors" (had my fair share of Tom Baker) and while I still like "the doctor" as a character and a thing, I have it rather hard to get away from the extreme cheesiness of the produciton, most notably in the area of audio, which is very 70's "you get whatever was there on the day, basta" including the sound of feet on "wooden sets that are supposed to be space metal" and such [you can much easier forgive bad visuals to bad audio].... the production values on the new series are just awesome in comparision, and keep getting better.  I just hope they stop w. the Daleks, I'm *SO* tired of them.

I don't get the dislike for series 6 - as a whole season it probably has The Most Awesome Arc Ever (and River Song just kicks ass, Sweetie), but it COULD have been handled better ("Lets Kill Hitler" was super rushed, and "Mels" as a character was just silly on so many ways, the whole thing was rushed from what could have been 3 clever episodes, etc. etc....) ... but OVERALL... I just love it....ESPECIALLY when taken together with the short mini-skits on the DVD extras, which expand the Doctor/River Song thing even further.

And Bowties are cool. So there.. but then again.... Allons-y! And have a Jelly-baby.

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2013-01-21 12:03:31)

Thumbs up Thumbs down