Topic: Have you noticed any surprising changes in your movie-watching habits?

I know I'm a bit of an outlier on this front, so let me be clear: I'm not asking if you've wholesale abandoned certain categories of filmmaking, like I have; I'm just asking if you've noticed any interesting changes in your movie-watching habits over the past few years. I only ask because I've had multiple conversations with folks who've been experiencing shades of the same phenomenon, and I'm wondering how pervasive the feeling is.

Have you noticed any surprising changes in your movie-watching habits as of late?

If so, what about them has been changing, and what are your theories as to why?

(Needless to say, my answer is 'yes,' and I think it'll be 'yes' for others, and I have big long theories as to why.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Have you noticed any surprising changes in your movie-watching habits?

Yes and no. I can't say my ||movie|| habits have done anything surprising. I still like broadly the same sort of thing as usual, maybe I've become a bit more specific in my exact brand of weird and what I want to see, and I'm still woefully behind on everything I want to watch, but that can be summed up by living an hour from the nearest theatre worth a damn, and the next point:

On the OTHER hand, there have definitely been some changes to my ||media|| consumption habits. Movies have begun to take up a significantly smaller chunk of of my brain and time (Both as a viewer and a maker), between podcasts, short form documentary (a lot of what we classically think of as "youtube content"), podcasts, long running short form content (webseries, stuff like Lizzie Bennett Diaries), podcasts and podcasts; the concept of movies is just another one on the pile, and one I'm growing increasingly less concerned with. There are so many cool and interesting things happening in all these other avenues, that I've been spending a lot more of my time over there.

ZangrethorDigital.ca
youtube.com/bigdamnartist

For starters, I've just been watching waaaaaaay more movies in general over the last few years. I used to devote the majority of my art consumption to books; that's still the case, but movies are catching up. Pretty straightforward reasons for that--access to streaming services, more disposable income for buying Blu-Rays, etc. I've also been seeing far more in the theatre than I used to, which can be laid squarely at the feet of Moviepass--I was able to see upward of 50 movies in the theatre last year thanks to that service.

In terms of the kinds of movies I watch, I've been drifting further and further away from trying to see all of the "nerd canon" of SF/F/action from the 80s onward that I haven't already seen (Predator, Donnie Darko, etc). Ready Player One and similar stuff is a big part of that for me--I'm so fucking sick of fan culture and reference-wank and all the joyless gatekeeping bullshit that goes along with them. When terrible people obsess myopically about certain pieces of art, it makes me less and less likely to want to experience them. So in the past few years my focus has shifted increasingly from big, popular genre movies to other stuff. Not to say I don't still love a lot of genre movies and watch plenty of them, but I don't define myself as a genre fan first and foremost anymore.

I'm actively trying to watch way more older movies lately. I'd seen my fair share prior to the last couple of years, but there were and still are massive gaps in my experience with movies prior to 1980 (just saw Casablanca for the first time last week, whassup). That, again, has something to do with me reacting to contemporary culture and "content consumption" in a lot of ways. I have a co-worker who prides himself on having read less than ten books published prior to 2000, and that just viscerally bugs me. I feel like that attitude pops up all over the place as regards moviewatching, especially on the internet--where you get "cinephiles" who think Nolan is the height of the artform (and I love a lot of Nolan movies, don't get me wrong) and who've seen maaaaybe ten movies from before Star Wars. That kind of willful blindness to the history of the medium, as if movies didn't exist before the last forty years, just bugs the shit out of me. So in the last couple of years I've been slowly embarking on a project to cover all my obvious old-movie gaps both out of appreciation for the artform and loathing for stupid people. Just got a Filmstruck subscription, which should help with that.

One big thing happening as of this week is that I'm not going to a new Star Wars movie for the first time, which would have been unfathomable to me a few years ago. It's not because I hate the Disney films--I loooooove TFA and TLJ--but because, in addition to Solo just being monumentally uninteresting to me, I want to try to keep the experience special. Teenage me would just swallow any and all Star Wars content regardless of quality, and even me of a few years ago probably would have gone to see this one just because he felt obligated. It's honestly refreshing to know that I'll be sitting this one out.

EDIT a couple of weeks later: Disregard the last paragraph, my friends overcame my good judgment. tongue

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-06-07 16:30:53)

I watch the same number of movies I used to, but I watch them less.

Used to be, I'd get a movie on DVD and I'd watch it a half dozen times in the span of a few weeks. Now, I see a movie in a theater, so I enjoy it, and I get a home video copy, and it sits in shrink-wrap until Steph wants to throw Black Panther on while she's making dinner.

I grabbed some Criterion Collection movies in the last sale that I haven't seen (and would be a bit of a boon to my column on the IMDb spreadsheet) and just haven't gotten around to them.

My free time gets taken up with a more active role - rather than passively watching, I'm actively playing a game, or creating YouTube content.

The number of movies I watch is mostly the same. The number of times I watch them has tanked.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Actually thinking on it a bit more (And partly cause of that Solo thread), the biggest change to my relationship with movies is that I've just stopped caring about the rumours, and the fan theories, and the hype and all of that bullshit that happens in the lead-up. It just doesn't matter anymore, that incessant back and forth between being pissed off or excited about some random bit of something was just exhausting or infuriating and gained me absolutely nothing. So that's just started phasing out of my thought process. Obviously I still get hyped and excited for movies, but not the specific theories or rumors or little details of the lead up of the internet hype/anger machine. Side along with this I've also pretty much stopped watching trailers, I'll watch the first one if it's something I'm interested in, but after that I just don't care.

That was a big shift for me in my relationship to the new Star Wars especially. There is literally nothing I can possibly do to influence or change the decisions being put into those movies. LITERALLY /NOTHING/. So I've pretty much just stopped caring, and I'll go into the movie and see what they decided to do with it. If it works cool I have a new movie I like, if not, then I can dissect it and learn from it, but anything before that point is just unnecessary emotional wear and tear.

I think this is also just part of a general trend I've noticed in myself of trying to cut out the unnecessary cynicism and negativity. I'd infinitely rather be super excited and jazzed for things I like, than shitting on and bitching about things I didn't. It's just way more fun.

ZangrethorDigital.ca
youtube.com/bigdamnartist

I've also been watching fewer and fewer films in the last few years. Part of that is that programming started taking up a big chunk of my free time. Part of it is just due to a lack of interest in the vast majority of movies getting released. Part of it is just due to lack of disposable income lately.

Honestly, tho, I think I've just discovered that I want to be a lot more productive now, so I don't really have a hell of a lot of free time for flicks. I have, however, been listening to quite a bit more music in the last year or two.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've discovered that the length of a movie is inversely proportional to the likelihood that I'll go see it. Now that every single blockbuster is like two and a half hours long, I rarely go see movies anymore. Once you add on things like trailers and after credit scenes, going to a movie has become a huge time commitment, and I generally find something I'd rather be doing.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I find I re-watch all the classics again with each new "upgrade" in their release... VHS to DVD to Blu-ray to UHD HDR

So about a 10-year cycle, and that hasn't changed much. It's enough time to forget so they're not too familiar.

Does anyone else feel the need to re-watch their favorites when their hardware changes e.g. they've just got themselves a new 77" OLED or something?

Hey Teague, as you started this thread - what's been the nature of your change?

And just like that...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

(I swear to god, I've been poking my way through a reply to this for the past two days. Still am. Sorry.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down