Topic: Lily In The Wind - With Sound!

Well here it is ladies and gentlemen, finished and done with. Enjoy the last 6 months of my life!

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-08-23 03:25:38)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: Lily In The Wind - With Sound!

I thought it was cool, nice job

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought it was great! Now, as someone who knows essentially nothing about visual effects, I'm not sure how much this will mean, but the whole thing looked really, really good. Well done!

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shhhh. Don't touch him. He's sad.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, people notice me smile

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kV7D0akyufg/TbcB5rP3_5I/AAAAAAAAAFY/lAM2Mu43fBA/s1600/smile1.jpg

ZangrethorDigital.ca

think you should be proud of that effort effects looked great and for whats it's worth i work with sound and found it very well done. good job.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Honestly, the voiceover detracts from what overall is strange and mysterious. Too much liberal arts college student. Not enough Tom Waits.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Each individual element is great. 

Like Doc, I don't know jack about computer effects, but to my eye it looked good, if not a touch video-gamey.  I see enough there that I'd feel comfortable bringing you in on a project.  But you'd have to work faster than 6 months per shot.

Also, I have no idea why the ship lands in the mountains and then she's under a city bridge... or why it looks like Mars in the ship shot, then magic hour in Canada... but I assume you had $0 budget.   So you're forgiven.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, cool! Thanks for the link banner!

Am I the only one that thinks the ship looks a little bit like Serenity...?

Any way, good Job, looked good.  big_smile

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

I thought that too!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is Snail, Maul2?!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:

Is Snail, Maul2?!

>_>

<_<

Noooo,... at least i don't think so... *freaks self out* yikes

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Ah my mistake, you're Just Another Movie Enthusiast  smile

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I....wait... what? Link banner?

EDIT: Oh Holy #^#$#, thats awesome! I haven't been around in a while. Thanks Teague!

And no snail =/= maul2

And yes, there are very strong Firefly influences throughout.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-01-15 20:39:51)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

iJim wrote:

But you'd have to work faster than 6 months per shot.

I know I'm uber late in  seeing this but I felt it needed to be addressed.

Do you SERIOUSLY THINK I SPENT 6 MONTHS ON ONE SHOT!?!? TRY 40 SOME!! PLUS PRE PRODUCTION, PRODUCTION and POST...BY MYSELF!!...IN 6 FUCKING MONTHS!!!

Whew...well, I got that outta my system. Cookie anyone?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

So when will we be able to see this in theatres.

To Snail, I can see the ship being inspired by Serenity, but thats as far as I am willing to go with that.

Last edited by Dark Coyote (2012-02-01 15:17:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

smile Give me 5 years, I should have the script done by then. (luckily I had a pretty nice breakthrough last night, so that bumped best case scenario estimation from 7 years down to 5).

I will make it happen though.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Nice job. I'm not a VFX artist, but my one criticism on that would be the ramp around 0:52. It looks more cartoon-like than the other shots. Maybe it's just that closeups are much more difficult. Unlike iJim above, respectfully, I wasn't confused by mountains to canyon to car bridge to live-action under a car bridge (or freeway overpass), but maybe a quick shot of a tiny bridge in the beneath-us distance would be useful.

I know you're trying to establish a fictional universe, but the narration doesn't seem to add to this particular scene. I think we can wait to find out about the postbellum stuff after we care more about this character. I also didn't understand the reason for the Resident Evil-ish in-your-face close-up of the guy's gun after shooting; it didn't seem to give us important information. But that may be just a style preference on my part.

I did, however, like the Resident Evil-ish Alice-like eye that the woman had. That and the mysterious "No"-backslash-symbol "NP" graffiti on the pillars made me curious about this world. I also liked the woman's chewed-to-bleeding fingernails and the dialog "Typical"; that's excellent compact character-building.

As a Firefly fan, I'm glad to see that Leaf On's little sister Lily In is getting her own movie. Have you been able to do more with this in the last year and a half? I look forward to seeing more.

Last edited by languageandhumor (2013-02-18 19:10:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow. Way to dig this one out of the archives. big_smile

Although it's kinda intersting looking back on this now with a year and half of distance, and getting to talk about it. As far as all the VFX stuff goes, the cartooney ramp, the lack of any bridge element in the wide shot, all of that, I completely agree. And was well aware of it when I was making it and certainly had plans plans to fix it all; the only thing I can blame is the time crunch and my nievity about certain things when it came to jumping into a project this huge, as a film school project, with such a short deadline to finish it in.

languageandhumor wrote:

I know you're trying to establish a fictional universe, but the narration doesn't seem to add to this particular scene. I think we can wait to find out about the postbellum stuff after we care more about this character.

I absolutely agree...now. Yeah, it was really just one of the things that I had spent so much time developing this universe and my mind was so clouded with the idea that this was the only time that it would get to be conveyed, that I just couldn't kill that paticular baby. If I ever did a special edition of this short (won't happen, but it's a good lesson to learn) the narration would be the first thing to go.

languageandhumor wrote:

I also didn't understand the reason for the Resident Evil-ish in-your-face close-up of the guy's gun after shooting; it didn't seem to give us important information. But that may be just a style preference on my part.

Heh. Yeah...I really don't have an explanation for this one. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I remember something about it being a cool establishing shot of our bad guy, while also being pretty dynamic and interesting looking. Yeah. I was young and stupid at the time tongue

languageandhumor wrote:

I did, however, like the Resident Evil-ish Alice-like eye that the woman had.

Thanks. That was actually meant to be a larger thing in the short than it turned out to be, and in the full version of whatever Lily In The Wind becomes, it's actually a central point around which a lot of it revolves, (At least at the moment, heh, ooh writing)

languageandhumor wrote:

That and the mysterious "No"-backslash-symbol "NP" graffiti on the pillars made me curious about this world. I also liked the woman's chewed-to-bleeding fingernails and the dialog "Typical"; that's excellent compact character-building.

Thanks! I did try to get as much in there as possible. The NP symbol was actually just a cool thing we found on the bridge when we got there to shoot, though, gotta love lucky stuff like that!

languageandhumor wrote:

As a Firefly fan, I'm glad to see that Leaf On's little sister Lily In is getting her own movie. Have you been able to do more with this in the last year and a half? I look forward to seeing more.

Well, as I've sort of alluded to throughout this post. I am still working on it. It's unfortunately had to be pushed on to a backburner for a little while though while I try to muddle through some more pressing matters. But it's still there, and being thought about. The problem is that if I'm going to do the story I really think I need to tell with this, it's a lot larger than I think anyone is expecting, so it's gonna take a while to get off the ground. But we'll see how things play out.

ZangrethorDigital.ca