Topic: Suggest a movie!

A good deal of the shows we do are ideas we get from the listeners. What movies would you like to hear a commentary for?

We try to avoid comedies, because we usually end up losing our focus and laughing along with the movie, which doesn't make for very good commentary. (However, movies that think they're funny and fail miserably are just fine.)

If there's anybody in particular you'd like to have on that episode, be not afraid, speak up. We live to serve.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Suggest a movie!

Hellboy 2.

A film I have enjoyed for a very long time, but have just recently realized is quite likely my favorite movie of all. But as we all know that is constantly shifting.

I just love the entire idea of the Fairy Tale for adults concept that inhabits all of Del Toros work (Which is probably why Pans Labyrinth,Hellboy and Hellboy 2 would all be in my top 5 easily). It's just a concept that you don't see enough, or at least I don't. (So if you know any good ones, let me know! I can never get enough!)

The main reason I prefer Hellboy 2 over the first one, is that the second one focuses much more on the elf/troll world and how it intercepts with the human world. (Plus I just frickin love Nuada and Nuala. Choreography heaven for moi). Whereas the first focuses much more on the occult with Rasputin. (Although I do absolutly love Karl Ruprecht Kroenen.)

Anyways I could talk for hours.

And as far as who you'd like to see on the show...well if you do Hellboy  (1 or 2), I'd personally love to volunteer!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

We've come close to recording Hellboy more than once,  I expect we'll get around to it pretty soon.

I like both movies a lot - personally I prefer the first one, but only by a very narrow margin.

I like Hellboy 1 well enough. Not so much HB2. So that'll make things interesting.

And we should definitely intersperse them with Pan's Labyrinth, which was the turning point in GDT's style, and which I hate so much I'm practically choking on my tongue just from mentioning it here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really Dorkman? And why would that be? I'm actually really interested, as Pans Labyrinth is definitely one of my favorites. Also same goes for HB2.

@Trey, I'm much the same way, except that HB2 sneaks ahead by a very slim margin. I'm just a sucker for the whole elf kingdom and troll market stuff.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2009-11-27 12:15:55)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, I hate Pan's Labyrinth with mighty force.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really? My interest is piqued.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I watched Hellboy recently, when it looked like we were going to be doing a commentary for it imminently. Nothing about it grabbed me particularly hard, good or bad. But that's probably more a result of the fact that those particular slices of fantastic storytelling don't do much for me.

Mystery Men.

C'mon, Eddie Izzard *not* wearing a dress.

Failing that, how about Oldboy? There's a real dearth of commentary for fucked up Korean drama.

Last edited by Dave (2009-12-01 10:12:13)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mystery Men might be a good one. Hm.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Le pacte des loups?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99hLlbYJm9w

I fucking love this film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I enjoyed hellboy2 much more than hb 1 or pans,

It seemed that with the success of the really out there creature design in pans lab really gave guellmo a ton of license to do the same in hell boy 2, just with a much bigger budget. Hellboy 2 looks way too original to be a big studio movie. It has the best creature effects and design I can recall from a big budget movie.

I think that would be fun to hear also.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

just a repost of something I had thrown in off topic because i didnt know this thread was here:

just some suggestions on interesting conversation pieces.

The Fifth Element
Memento
War of the worlds - 2005
the day after tomorrow

Love the show, keep up the good work!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well the thing was, that Hellboy 1 was based pretty much completely off Mike Mignola (Amazing) graphic novels, where as Hellboy 2. Was pretty completely a figment of Guillermo's imagination (Thus the much more Pan's Labyrinth-y creatures). Of course with the exception of Krauss, who is from the comics.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

my vote is for fifth element!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Back to the Future trilogy, perhaps?
Indiana Jones 1-3/4?
Die Harder?

Personally, I like sequels in several ways. If they're great, I love them, if they suck, I love ranting about how much they suck tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Twig24 wrote:

The Fifth Element

+1

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As many times as Back To The Future has been referenced in your commentaries...  I am amazed that it has yet to be commented upon.  The Fifth Element seems to fit pretty well into everyone's expertise as well.

Completely out of the blue I would suggest The Big Lebowski.  Though it might be construed as a comedy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If we were to do Big Lebowski, I'd want to do it with Adam Bertocci, but it's totally possible. I actually haven't seen the whole thing.

Back to the Future is definitely on its way, and I'm sure we'll get to The Fifth Element in short order, too.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Back to the Future is one of my favourite films of all time so obviously I'd like to hear you guys talk about that. I thought The Fifth Element was awful though, largely due to Chris Tuckers performance.  Mystery Men would rock though.

New suggestion- how about a Muppet movie? I'd have thought The Muppet Christmas Carol would have been ideal last December (I think you mentioned going to do it) but it never happened. Or Labyrinth or Dark Crystal. Something with Muppets, dammit big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll totally second anything Muppet related, but Christmas Carol is an especially good one, still my favorite Muppet film. Just sneaking past "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz"...(can't you just feel the sarcasm. It's all warm and snuggly like.)

And I would also second Back to the Future. It's seems like such a staple, it's hard to believe you guys haven't done it already.

I'd also like to put out there, Moon and Sunshine. Bot amazing Space movies. Although I would definitely put Sunshine way further up the list. Just something about Moon felt off to me, I can't really pin it down to anything overly specific, but I have a few notions, I'd love to hear what you guys thought of it. And then Sunshine is just a beautiful piece of space awesomeness.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Trust me, it's not like we've forgotten about the original trilogy, Indiana Jones and Back to the Future. Those are coming, on your face, and will probably make your eye burn.

However, in the mean time, we did do commentaries of Back to the Future, Raiders, Crusade and Crystal Skull on Geekza, in episodes generously being hosted by DiF forumer Zarban.

These are between a year and three years old, and I don't attempt to vouch for quality. But if they'll hold you over, feel held. By us. Just keep an eye out for when Back to the Future comes.

See what I did?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know, I would love to listen to you guys do "Star Trek." Last year's, I mean. And lemme tell you why:

I was just talking about the movie with a friend, and without really thinking about I described it as one of my all-time-favorite terrible movies. But it's hard for me to explain what I mean by that. I don't mean in the so-bad-it's-good sense. I mean that I really, profoundly enjoyed the movie, and will go so far as to say it was a good movie in objective terms, while admitting all the way to the store that the plot just didn't make a damn bit of sense. Seriously, there's not ONE story point in the whole movie that stands up to scrutiny. Scrutiny, hell. If you glance suspiciously at the script out of the corner of your eye it crumbles to dust.

And yet … and yet. Despite all that, it was a GOOD movie! Entertaining, exciting, funny, even mildly thought-provoking in some minor ways. Orci and Kurtzman (and Abrams, obviously) built on what had come before, but had no shame about discarding whatever didn't suit them. It was a very upraised-middle-finger to-hell-with-you-this-is-my-movie movie, and I thought that worked well. And above all, it was fun.

Despite being, by any objective standard, simply terrible.

I can't really think of another movie like it off the top of my head. I have plenty of guilty pleasures, but those are usually "I like this because it's bad," or "I like it despite the fact that it's bad." "Star Trek" was more like a movie that was simultaneously good and bad for different reasons, and that's a new and strange sensation to me.

So I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Call me crazy, but I'd say Star Trek is a candidate for 'Perfect Movie' status.

That's right.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd be up for that!

@Jeffery Harrell: I would be interested in hearing how you think the plot completely disintegrates?? It seemed like a perfectly sound Star Trek plot to me.

ZangrethorDigital.ca