Re: The Table

Worst work related incident: I've been laid-off scores of times, but I also got fired about seven years ago.

It's nothing dramatic, really — I had my head out of the game for weeks; thinking in terms of personal clock-punching rather than team progress, not being accountable enough, etc.. Basically, all of the mistakes I can't fathom making these days, I made all of them on this gig. And if 'Teague had his head miles up his ass' hasn't been made clear already, you should also know that I was stunned by the firing. (How'd I even get it up there that far?) This cost me a gig — and not just any gig, but a gig working for my then-favorite boss, whom I had worked for several times already. I was a regular. We haven't been in contact since then.

Burning bridges is one thing; your favorite bridge burning down due to your negligence is another.

It knocked sense into me, and I've done everything in my power to come correct since. Now it's a philosophy.

Tell me a story about a second chance you were given.
Most ironic thing that's ever happened to you?
What is something you did that you once deeply regretted, but now are glad you did?
Moment from your life you've revisited a million times, and why.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Second chance:
I moved out to CT in '09, at age 19, because I'd been dis-satisfied with the way my friendships were turning out in TN, where I'd lived for over a decade.
Joined a church, made some friends, everything was hunky-dory.
Particular 2 friends were a young couple just a few years older than me. They were awesome, basically gave me an open-door invitation to hang out with them, which was great for this young, single guy who loves quality time spent with people.
Couple of years go by, some weird friendship things start happening again. Nothing I'm able to articulate at the time, just a sense of barriers being put up. Not so much by the young couple (Dan and Joanna, btw), just by others.
So I thought I was cool with them.
Then, one evening, I was over at their house for a bible study with some other friends. We were studying James, if I'm not mistaken. Long story short, I leaned on their wooden table (one of those things with a single central column as opposed to multiple legs, but a big one) and it collapsed. Complete accident.
I said sorry, looked at it and saw that it had a previous weak spot, and that was that.

After the study, everyone went out for coffee. But Joanna seemed...peeved. And I noticed this only near the end of the hangout. Everyone else eventually left, and Dan, Joanna, and I were walking to our respective cars, when I said, "Are you still mad about the table?"

Joanna rounded on me, and proceeded to give me a talking-to like I'd never gotten:
"No it's not that the table broke, it's that your apology was half-assed and you gave an excuse saying the table was weak instead of apologizing for real. Then you didn't offer to help repair it or pay for repairs. I wouldn't have cared if you'd been legitimately sorry. But that table was a hand-made gift from my parents for our wedding which I told you about, and you didn't seem to care (this was very true)."
Then she proceeded to tell me five or six ways that I'd been dismissive of her and Dan's feelings on multiple occasions, not taking seriously the time they were giving me, cancelling on workouts with Dan even though he took time off work on those days to coach me...
There were quite a few things, all of which were absolutely fair, and NONE of which I was aware of. I was that self-focused. Here I thought I was all about friendship and stuff, but I'd never put myself in their shoes or tried to have empathy. It just didn't register.

After this, I was stunned. I swear, God kept telling me to shut my mouth even though my (natural) tendency was to be defensive. This is one of the very few times that I would say I have "heard" God. And He was telling me to shut the hell up and listen, because she was right and I had been a jerk.

So finally I choked out "Can we go to the car?" I needed a few seconds to think, and also there were a couple of random people sitting at the outdoor tables near us that probably heard everything (which, in retrospect, was probably really weird for them).

When we got to their car, I broke down and apologized. REALLY apologized. Not just about the table (because it wasn't about that, really), but about everything. Asked for help for maybe the first real time in my life. I'd been SUCH an asshole.

All this backstory to lead up to this:
Dan and Joanna both hugged me for a long time, said I was like their little brother, that they hadn't wanted to drop all that on me at once, but they couldn't take it anymore. Prayed with me, and promised to keep spending time with me and forgave me.
I ended up fixing the table myself, and I did a hell of a job smile They never brought up past issues again, just made sure to let me know if they felt like I was lacking empathy in the moment. And over the next few months, I learned to be a much more considerate person.
My friendships with other people got a lot better as a result. And I continue to work on being sure to think how others are feeling.

That was one of the best/worst nights of my life, and I'm glad it happened. So I guess it answers a few of those questions, actually, but whatever. I'll just say it answered the first smile

Forget existential dread: what's the most existentially exciting thing that's ever occurred to you?
Most ironic thing that's ever happened to you?
What is something you did that you once deeply regretted, but now are glad you did?
Moment from your life you've revisited a million times, and why.

EDIT: Geez this was long.

Last edited by Writhyn (2017-12-05 04:42:37)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

We need to figure out a way to clear some of the dead ones off the list, maybe if they've been on there for a page already? Then again if someone new wants to share a story for a deprecated one...

Great story, Writhyn. Powerful, too - obviously a proper formative teaching moment for you and I feel like it's one of those stories that could be used for teaching kids in a book somehow. "David and the Wedding Table" sort of thing.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Yeah, I agree, let's trim 'em and throw out some new ones.

Quick lightning-round to invent new questions! Add something.

Forget existential dread: what's the most existentially exciting thing that's ever occurred to you?
If you had to permanently move to another country and decade, where and when would you go?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And it works because Writhyn totally answered about three in one go there tongue

If you had to permanently move to another country and decade, where and when would you go?
What's the most amusing physical injury you've ever had?

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Oh look, Teague, they're thinking of you. Edit: My sister found this, I told her your story and showed her the video, I mentioned something she does and she asked me to send you this: Pickleback

And since nobody's jumped on it, I'll answer my own prompt, but leave it there in case someone else wants to share, if that's cool.

In high school, we had a "senior lounge" that seniors that had nothing lower than, I don't know, a C on their report cards could go down to during study halls and hang out. By now it's a proper room and a TV and such, but when I was still there it was two wooden benches and a trash can at a T-intersection of hallways. The benches were age-old and had carved names dating back decades.

One time, my friend Tim, goofball that he was (and the rest of us were), proclaimed that he could kick himself in the face. He then proceeded to do so - not foot straight out-forward-up, but bending the knee like half of your lower body has decided to sit cross-legged very aggressively, and ducking his head down so his foot made slight contact with his forehead.

Like I said, the rest of us were cut from the same cloth. So I had a go. Much more solid connection, foot to forehead. And I was egged on to do it again.

I didn't crack my nose on the first kick. Or the second. It was something like the fourth kick when the sharp ankle bone came a bit lower than previous attempts, and made square contact with the bridge of my nose.

It hurt, and I stopped, but was still laughing and I kinda of shrugged it off.

That was the eighth period of a nine period school day. I make my way to social studies, and as we wait for the bell to ring, I'm talking with my friend Aaron. I think he'd been there during the previous period, but maybe not; all I remember him telling me was that my nose was turning colors and I "should probably get that looked at".

Nothing major and huge and gushing blood, but a fractured nose that made it a bit crooked, but not enough where they'd have to grab it and go *yoink* to recenter it.

It was the first of many encounters my nose would suffer in the coming years; the next year, it took the impact of a lightsaber from the side that just missed my eye, but didn't break; a year later while sparring I took a foam-covered PVC saber blade hard enough that it cracked my nose again as well as splitting my forehead. But you never forget your first.

Last edited by Boter (2017-12-08 17:53:32)

*clap clap clap*

Good story, and perfect use of 'yoink.'

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, in figuring this out I'm trying to find a way to maximize both personal enjoyment and global usefulness. Assuming I'm time-traveling to this period at the same age I am now (21), not getting a solid reset from birth, here's what I do.

1920s America

There was no limit placed on what I can take with me, but I'm gonna keep it reasonable and just bring a collapsible high-powered sniper rifle, plenty of ammo, a polio vaccine as well as other assorted meds, and as much period money from a variety of countries as I can get my hands on. I arrive in America 1920, travel to Russia, and make my first move the assassination of Joseph Stalin, allowing Trotsky to succeed Lenin after the latter has died. I next make my way to Austria, where I knock off Adolf Hitler shortly after he's discharged from the army. From there I hop a boat back to the U.S., where I'm hopefully just in time to bump into Franklin Roosevelt and surreptitiously administer the polio vaccine to him. This leaves Mussolini and Hirohito in play, but by taking out Hitler I've hopefully averted WWII, by ensuring Roosevelt doesn't contract the polio that will eventually lead to his death I've hopefully ensured continued progressive policies in America long after 1945, and by taking out Stalin I've left the Soviets in Trotsky's far more capable hands.

I settle in the American South for the remainder of my stay, occasionally using my leftover ammo and foresight to take out prominent KKK members and politicians like George Wallace. Donald Trump Sr. goes down before he can spawn his offspring. James Earl Ray winds up in a ditch on the side of the road. I travel up north in the 60s to ensure that Nixon and Henry Kissinger both go down, handing the race to McGovern and thereby keeping Hunter S. Thompson with us a few years longer than he otherwise would have made it. In the late 70s Ronald Reagan meets with an unfortunate accident that leaves him wheelchair-bound and unable to run for President.

In between these killings, I keep a low profile. Go see The Who live. Enjoy Citizen Kane and Star Wars and the like on their opening weekends. Find George Lucas in a bar somewhere and convince him to hand Return of the Jedi entirely over to Lawrence Kasdan and hand Spielberg producer credit so he can ghost-direct the thing, thereby freeing George from the millstone around his neck and enabling him to pursue all the other projects he had in mind. (I also do my best to influence him not to release the Special Editions, or at the very least keep the originals in print.) And then, my work done, I die in 1983 at the ripe old age of 84, which I was able to live to due to the meds I brought over.

This is kinda violating the spirit of the question in that I travel to two other countries before returning home, but I couldn't think of what else to do that would be useful so. tongue

You have 24 hours to live but only $1,000 to spend. Your one companion is Bill Murray. What do you do?

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2017-12-12 18:44:15)

I just cannot believe how great that whole answer was.

I also can't believe how great the new prompt is.

clap

This is all so much for me. I'll be back; honestly, right now I kinda want to take a swing at answering the another-country-and-decade prompt myself, because you made it look very fun, but the new one is great too.

No dibs.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down