Re: What are you reading?

That sentence melted my eyes. What the hell??

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It comes off even worse than it otherwise would when the book is making frequent hay out of how incoherent Trump is when he speaks. I mean, he is, and that's horrifying, but that doesn't excuse you weaving together phrases with such disregard for prose structure that you sound like a phone keyboard predicting text.

Just finished Peter Watts' Blindsight—which you can either buy in print or download from his website for free due to its Creative Commons license. Picture Alien, but as a first contact story that's a mind-bending riff on the nature of consciousness as a glitch in human evolution. This is the hardest of hard SF, but since it's also functioning as a philosophical horrorshow it's by necessity far more readable and elegant than something by, say, Kim Stanley Robinson—it has to evoke an emotional chill at the implications of its subject matter, not just an intellectual one.

Very much a companion piece to Thomas Ligotti's excellent/soul-crushing book of horror philosophy The Conspiracy Against the Human Race, which I recommended here a while back.

Also, if you don't want to read a whole novel as your jumping-off point with Watts, take fifteen minutes out of your day to read his story "The Things" (also freely available online), which manages to take John Carpenter's The Thing and make it even more horrifying by setting it from the POV of the titular creature.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-02-22 17:44:23)

Your first paragraph couldn't have sold me harder.

I'm not even much for novels these days, and just: fuck yes.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Woot! As I was reading it I couldn't help thinking it was such your shit. Probably Brian's, too, but it doesn't involve Mars so he might be snobby about it. tongue

I just read the first intro secton, prior to 'Theseus,' and... super yep.

Y'all check this shit out.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down