Topic: Uncharted Fan Film starring Nathan Fillion

So, Nathan Fillion just starred as Drake in an Uncharted fan film. And it's cool. I dug it. Apparently Fillion has been the dream choice for Drake for years (and Uncharted has been that franchise that everyone has wanted to see become a movie but never has).

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x_Wl2Bth38

My thing is, Fillion is good. He works as Drake, and I think he's the obvious choice, but I don't think he's the best choice.

First off, he's 47. Slow down there, dudes over 40. I'm not saying he's ancient. But that's not passable for early-mid 30's. Drake is my age. It makes me wince a little bit that there's a dude pushing 50 running around pretending to be a millenial and his mentor is on the walkie talkie calling him "kid". I don't buy it.

Secondly, Nathan Fillion is Nathan Fillion. His schtick is being goofy, self-aware, and over-the-top, almost "machismo" Captain Kirk swagger. When I watch this, I don't think "oh cool, it's Nathan Drake". I think "oh, it's Nathan Fillion being Nathan Fillion". They should have gone for a smaller name actor, and I know why they didn't. They wanted Fillion's star power to market this thing. I get that. But it took me out of it.

Ok, so I'm ripping on Fillion a lot here. Overall I thought he did a great job. Fighting was good, quips were good. He was a solid choice.

I also liked that they cast Stephen Lang as Sully. He wasn't a choice I'd expect, but I actually dug his interpretation of the character. If they ever made a feature length major blockbuster of this, I'd want him to reprise his role.

Anyone here into the Uncharted games? I thought the first one was decent, but the 2nd two were amazing. Tons of fun, great characters, etc. I recommend them to anyone looking to kill time and play a cool game.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I'd have chosen Joe Flannigan to play Drake (of Stargate Atlantis fame). He's also too old now, but he basically is Nathan Drake. 10 years ago especially he'd have been perfect.

Last edited by Kibouchi (2018-07-16 17:59:28)

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

Re: Uncharted Fan Film starring Nathan Fillion

Big Uncharted fan, especially games 2 and 4. And fifteen years ago Fillion would have been a great choice for Nate. But these days? . . . nah.

As you say, he's too old, and where in stuff like Firefly he was genuinely acting here he's just putting on his public persona. But also, this thing is really uncinematic. Imitating the game with the over-the-shoulder camera in that gunfight sequence is a terrible choice; there's no sense of kineticism or composition, it just sort of hovers there while bad guys fall down in the distance. In the games, Naughty Dog really knows when to push for cinematic framing and camera movement to give moments an extra oomph; this did almost the exact opposite.

So yeah, Fillion is fun and this was perfectly harmless but it also comes off as a bit desperate. And Uncharted just really, really doesn't need a movie. The games are already cinematic, movies would be a redundancy. Ditto The Last of Us.

I agree with you on that. Watching it back again too I really do think the overall tone is dull. It feels like they made a list of things you need in order to make an Uncharted movie and just went down it like a grocery list, checking off the items. Like "dry quips, check. Gun fights, check. Shoulder holsters, check."

I also agree on the 3rd person OTS shot in the gunfight. A bit forced.

True, Uncharted games don't need a movie. Apparently they were going to make one with Mark Wahlberg several years ago that fell through. I'm glad because it would have been dogshit. The games definitely are very cinematic. And I love the way Nolan North plays the character. Hard to beat that. He's almost got a hold on Drake like Kevin Conroy has on Batman or Mark Hamill has on Joker. Nolan North is THE Nathan Drake, and anyone else just doesn't seem like it's him.

Haven't played the 4th one, but it's on my list of games to get to eventually. I love the 2nd and 3rd ones. And I loooooove Last of Us. Last of Us is probably one of my favorite games of all time along with BioShock Infinite (I'm talking from a story/character perspective).

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." - Han Solo, Terminator 2: With a Vengeance

Kibouchi wrote:

Haven't played the 4th one, but it's on my list of games to get to eventually. I love the 2nd and 3rd ones. And I loooooove Last of Us. Last of Us is probably one of my favorite games of all time along with BioShock Infinite (I'm talking from a story/character perspective).

You're in for a massive treat—it's easily the best of the franchise, and probably the most gorgeous game ever made (though The Last of Us Part II looks set to take that away).

Can't say I agree on Infinite—posted a rant about it in one of the Off-Topic gaming threads earlier this year—but that first half hour is just *chef's kiss*. Wish the whole game were just a walking simulator of Columbia.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-07-16 21:59:13)